Tuesday, December 10, 2013

On Quality: Hendrik.Lou

Hendrik.Lou is Stephanie Nan Olivier's brand of original hand-knit designs, based in Vancouver, Canada. All her materials are best-quality fair-trade and sourced from family-run farms. I originally found Stephanie at her former Etsy shop, called Seedknits, back in 2008. I loved it and her shop was a fixture in my Etsy Favorites. A few months later I ordered a Nomad Cowl in Ash (a light grey Peruvian wool—she has since switched to even softer alpaca and alpaca/wool blends), and loved it so much I immediately ordered another one in a different color. Of course, she was one of the first designers on my list I contacted when I opened the shop, and she's lovely to work with!

By the way, I have worn those two cowls every year since; I'm on my fifth winter! They have held up magnificently with constant wear (winters are damp and chilly in the Pacific Northwest and having something warm around your neck makes a huge difference). Care is easy: I hand wash them a couple of times during the season (and just before putting them away in the spring) with Eucalan. I can wear them with nearly everything in my wardrobe: tossed over a long-sleeved tee shirt and jeans or worn with a simple dress. The other day I wore my Nomad in ash to work with a grey skirt and black cashmere cardigan.

Hendrik.Lou's color palette consists of nature-inspired, go-with-everything neutrals and they are made so well they qualify as workhorse pieces (and they are unisex so anyone can wear them). I can personally speak to the longevity and quality of Stephanie's work. You can find our selection of Hendrik.Lou here.




Clockwise, from the left: Henning Cowl in Fawn alpaca/wool blend; organic cotton wrap in Charcoal; Nomad Cowl in Nutmeg baby alpaca.



A close-up of the Nomad Cowl in Charcoal baby alpaca.



Close-up of the Fawn Henning Cowl.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughtful comments are always welcome.